Miss Pym and a Friend

Miss Pym and a Friend

Friday, January 4, 2013

Panetone Quilting

From today's Quilters World Newlsetter: At the beginning of 2012, Pantone announced its color of the year, Tangerine Tango. If you remember, I challenged our readers and myself to use that color to create something. Well, I did. Just that challenge was all it took for me to find time and do what I really love to do. I created an original quilt based on a color. I started by sketching out my ideas on paper. I played with themes, blocks, anything I thought would look nice in orange, but the more I tried the less I had. Finally, I went back to what I truly love. What I do best with fabric is translate color, contrast and texture into what I draw. Fabric is my paint. So once I decided what to quilt, it became easy. Once the concept for the Tangerine Tango orange was determined and the sketches complete, I moved on to the rest of the fabric selection. This is the part I love most. With the fabrics selected and the inspiration still fresh in mind, I began to lay out and fuse my fabrics. I worked on my quilt when I found a bit of extra time. There were times, through the year, when my project just sat. Life and obligations do get in the way. I made sure it was in plain sight in my studio so it wasn't forgotten. There were times when all I had time to do was ponder. I took notes. The final push I needed was the idea to enter it in the Quiltcon International Quilt Show in Austin, Texas. Once I decided to enter it, I had to finish it, and that's what I did. I haven't entered any of my quilts in a competition in some time, and I don't know if it will win anything, but I definitely feel terrific about what I have accomplished this year. I've decided I am going to do the same thing this year. Pantone's Color of the Year for 2013 is Emerald. What can I do with it? Hmmmm. Want to play along? I also recommend Jennifer Cheverini's novels on quilters.

No comments:

Post a Comment