Miss Pym and a Friend

Miss Pym and a Friend

Saturday, June 17, 2017

For Pym's Birthday, The Language of Flowers


While I'm not sure that my simple pots and fairy gardens would be up to the standards of Miss Clovis or Leonora Eyre, I offer some photos in honor of Pym's June birthday.  So many readers enjoy her passages on flower arranging and decorating the altar, that I feel a few words on plants and flowers are needed.


Many books exist on the language of flowers, including a novel by the same name.  Kate Greenaway's' example has always been my favorite, but I also love Cicely Barker's flower fairies, and The Diary of an Edwardian Lady. I have written a lot on The Secret Garden, especially in my other blog, Dr. E's Greening Tips for the Common Person, but Burnett was not the only one to write of gardens and plants, and "stolen earth." Rumer Godden's An Episode of Sparrows is about a little girl in Post WWII England who finds solace in a garden she creates from nothing, and then from the network of friends it grows for her.  May you find peace in your gardens this summer, and joy in the flowers and plants that grow there. 







No comments:

Post a Comment